Curried Ground Shrimp and Noodles
• 1 large onion, cut into large pieces
• 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
• 1 small jalapeño, seeds removed if desired, coarsely chopped
• 3 garlic cloves
• 1½ pounds small shrimp, peeled, deveined
• 1 tablespoon curry powder
• 1 tablespoon gochugaru (Korean red pepper powder)
• 2 teaspoons finely grated peeled ginger
• 1 tablespoon tomato paste
• 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
• 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
• 12 ounces wide rice noodles
• 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
• 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
• 1 teaspoon finely grated lime zest
• 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
• Chili oil, fresh basil leaves, and sliced scallions (for serving)
• Gochugaru can be found in Korean markets. (use instead: Red Pepper Powder – The Best Convenient Substitute. • Chipotle Powder – For Those Who Like Smoky • Cayenne Pepper Flakes – Closest To The Texture • Guajillo Powder – The Little Gourd.
• Finely chop onion in a food processor. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium and cook onion, stirring often, until soft and starting to brown, 6–8 minutes.
• Meanwhile, finely chop jalapeño and garlic in processor; place in a small bowl. Pulse shrimp in processor until coarsely ground; set aside.
• Add jalapeño and garlic to skillet along with curry powder, gochugaru, and ginger; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1
• Add tomato paste and cook, stirring, until paste is slightly darkened, about 3 minutes. Add reserved shrimp and cook, stirring often, until cooked through, about 5 minutes.
• Sprinkle flour over mixture and cook, stirring, until flour is no longer visible. Add broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer briskly, stirring occasionally, until reduced by half, 25–30 minutes.
• Meanwhile, cook noodles according to package directions; drain. Add to sauce, tossing to coat. Remove from heat; stir in citrus zest and juice. Drizzle with chili oil and top with basil and scallions.
Calories (kcal) 540 Fat (g) 9 Saturated Fat (g) 1.5 Cholesterol (mg) 215 Carbohydrates (g) 81 Dietary Fiber (g) 3 Total Sugars (g) 3 Protein (g) 31 Sodium (mg) 1090