• 1/4 cup (60ml) mayonnaise
• 1/4 cup (60ml) sour cream or Mexican crema
• 1/2 cup (110g) finely crumbled Cotija or feta cheese, plus more for serving
• 1/2 teaspoon ancho or guajillo chili powder, plus more for serving
• 1 medium clove garlic, finely minced (about 1 teaspoon)
• 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro leaves and tender stems
• 4 ears shucked corn
• 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Light 1 chimney full of charcoal. When all charcoal is lit and covered with gray ash, pour out and spread coals evenly over half of coal grate. Alternatively, set half the burners of a gas grill to high heat. Set cooking grate in place, cover grill, and allow to preheat for 5 minutes. Clean and oil grilling grate.
- While coals heat, combine mayonnaise, sour cream or crema, cheese, chili powder, garlic, and cilantro in a large bowl. Stir until homogeneous and set aside.
- When grill is hot, place corn directly over hot side of grill and cook, rotating occasionally, until cooked through and charred in spots on all sides, about 8 minutes total.
- Transfer corn to bowl with cheese mixture and use a large spoon to evenly coat corn on all sides with mixture. Sprinkle with extra cheese and chili powder and serve immediately with lime wedges.