Easy Yeast Roll Biscuits
Total Time 1 hour 25 minutes Prep Time 1 hour
Cook Time 25 minutes
• 1⁄2 cup solid vegetable shortening (Crisco)
• 1⁄2 cup sugar
• 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
• 2 packets fast acting yeast [4 1/2 tsp]
• 2 large eggs
• 5 cups all purpose flour, divided use
• 1⁄2 cup salted butter (1 stick), melted (plus more for brushing baked rolls with)
• 1 1⁄2 cups very warm water
• Place sugar, salt, 2 cups of flour, and yeast in a large mixing bowl.
• Cut in shortening with a long tined fork or pastry cutter.
• Add eggs, beating lightly with fork before stirring them in.
• Add remaining flour, melted butter, and water.
• Stir together well. Mixture will look like a lumpy blob.
• Cover with a dish towel and let sit in a warm place for twenty minutes.
• After twenty minutes, turn dough out onto a floured surface.
• Sprinkle flour over the top and knead three or four times.
• Pat out into a square that is about 3⁄4 inch thick>
• Cut into squares with a pizza cutter.
• Place squares into a greased 9″×13″ pan and cover with clean kitchen towel.
• Let rise in a warm place for another twenty minutes.
• Take the pan out of the oven (if using the oven to let the bread rise) after it has risen and then preheat the oven to 350F degrees.
• Bake at 350F for about 25 minutes, or until tops are golden. Brush rolls with melted butter.